Design & Customization
1. To what degree can I customize my Tiny home?
Nearly every one of our Tinys is customized, ranging from additional windows to lengthening your Tiny by eight feet.
2. I don’t want to climb into a loft to sleep every night. Can a Tiny house accommodate a bed on the main floor?
Sure! We often design our Cottages with first-floor bed spaces or even separate bedrooms.
3. Can I add a custom portable deck to my Tiny house?
Sure, this is an option that we often design and build for clients and can be found under our options list.
4. Can I have a wood stove in a Tiny house?
Yes, if the wood stove is rated for RVs and mobile homes.
5. I care about recycling and living sustainably. Can my Tiny house be built entirely out of environmentally friendly materials?
We also care very much about our environment, and we make every attempt to tread lightly and build as sustainably as possible. Whenever we can, we choose our materials based on local sourcing, health, environmental impact and total energy usage. Being in the lumber-rich Northwest, we are able to source most of our materials locally from partners that care as we do.
Logistics & Legalities
6. Where can I park my new Tiny home?
You can park your Tiny wherever your local jurisdiction allows.
7. What are the legal requirements and licensing for a Tiny house in Oregon? Do I need to get any special permits?
Since 2008, OCC has delivered Tiny houses that are Oregon state-inspected and certified as RVs, but the state is currently reviewing its tiny-house policy, so the regulations are in flux. We continues to build our Tiny Cottages to meet all RV standards. To transport your Tiny Cottage, we encourage you to buy a 10-day temporary loaded trailer permit obtained from DMV for $10.
8. What if I have to move my Tiny house later? How moveable are Tiny houses, really?
They are very portable. Our trailers and Tiny Cottages are properly balanced and durable and can be driven on any highway, city, or country road that a licensed vehicle might find itself on.
9. Can I have a Tiny home built directly on a lot, or are they always on trailers?
Currently we are building our Tiny homes in our shop and only on trailers.
10. Do you make Tiny houses for customers in other states?
We have built our Tiny Cottages for customers in multiple states, as far from Oregon as Connecticut. We can deliver your Tiny to any of the lower 48 States, including Canada.
11. Do you offer a warranty on your Tiny houses?
Yes, we offer a one-year warranty on all workmanship, and we pass through all warranties by third parties, such as those for the trailer, axles and tires.
12. What do I have to do to prepare a site for a Tiny house?
We recommend that you provide a level or slightly sloping gravel, or paved grade and have all the electrical, water lines and waste water lines, if applicable, stubbed out close to their respective utility receptacles.
13. What about insurance for a Tiny house?
More and more companies are providing Tiny house insurance, and we would be happy to recommend a few that we have worked with in the past.
The Process & Costs
14. How long will it take to build my Tiny house?
Once we have your design completed to your satisfaction and have received your trailer, it takes us 14 weeks to complete one of our standard models. If you choose to build a standard shell (which includes all weather shedding materials only and has no utilities), it takes us four weeks to build your Tiny after receiving the trailer. Our trailers arrive approximately 18 days from the time they are ordered from our manufacturer.
15. What kind of payment schedule do you require? Do you need a down payment?
To start, we require a design retainer of $1,000 that puts you into our building queue and is then included in the cost of your Tiny. Once we have completed your design, we require a 50 percent initial installment, at which point we can order your trailer and construction materials.
16. Where can I get financing for my Tiny house?
We currently do not offer lending for our Tiny houses, but other sources do. Here are a few:
- Tinyhouselending.com (peer to peer lending network)
- LightStream financing (division of SunTrust Bank)
- Secured bank loan from your own bank or credit union
17. Will you deliver my Tiny house? If so, does it cost extra?
Yes we would be happy to deliver your Tiny to you. Our cost is $2.50 per loaded mile.
18. What kind of electrical hookups will my Tiny house have?
Your Tiny comes with either a 30 or 50-amp RV electrical receptacle and a 25-ft. locking head RV chord so you can quickly hook into an existing system.
19. Can I go entirely solar? What does that entail?
Yes, you can go entirely off the grid. We can provide you either with a solar hook-up so you can purchase your own system, or supply you with an entire solar system that can fit your Tiny.
20. Will it be plumbed for water, or will I need to do anything special?
Yes, all your fixtures will be completely plumbed and ready to be hooked to a pressurized water source. Alternatively, we can install a potable storage tank and pump so that your Tiny will be even more mobile.
21. Where does the waste water from the sink or shower go in a Tiny house?
The gray water from the shower and sink are plumbed in with your toilet waste line and is routed to a standard 3” RV termination adaptor so that you can hook up a standard RV sewer hose kit.
22. What is the best way to control the temperature in a Tiny house – both heating and cooling?
There are many choices to condition your Tiny, and it depends on your location and sensitivities. We have installed wood stoves, gas stoves, gas direct vent heaters, electric convection heaters, in-wall electric heaters, and have also stubbed out for mini split ductless systems. Since our Tinys are well insulated and weathertight and so… well… tiny, there is not much heating or cooling required. Our standard practice is to provide you with an electric convection Envi heater for Tinys under 22 feet, and two for larger Tinys. We can also provide a dedicated outlet for an in-window or through wall air conditioner, if you choose.
23. What’s it like to live in a Tiny house? Can you ever get any privacy?
It is cozy, liberating, and internally expansive. It drives you to care. If you are sharing your Tiny, it will gift you with a profound beautiful intimacy in step with a clear set of personal boundaries. If it is privacy that you do desire, then we can provide you with separation of space that allows your boundaries to be more forgiving.
24. Can a family live in a Tiny house?
Yes, we have provided Tinys for various families, from single moms with two children to couples with children. In return, we have received heartwarming stories.
25. Have you ever lived in a Tiny house?
Yes, of all tiny kinds: 650-sq. ft. self-remodeled rustic cabin (three years); 600-sq. ft. self-built reclaimed cabin (one and half years); 450-sq. ft. self-built cob yurt, (two years); 84-sq. ft. VW Vanagon (purchased for $200, two years); and a 260-sq. ft. OCC Tiny (six months).